Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Sharepoint Files Input and Join Tool

angelique_martin
7 - Meteor

Hi Alteryx Community,

I am currently trying to determine the issue of why my Join Tool is not reading the Field names coming from my SharePoint Files Input tool. I used the Dynamic Rename Tool so that the field names will be read from the first row of my data. I am trying to determine how I can use the join tool to connect my SharePoint files input tool to the rest of my workflow. Please see screenshots below. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @angelique_martin 

Though I've never used the Sharepoint Files Input tool, I think that the reason it's not working is that the metadata(field names and types) of the fields in the file is not being properly retrieved.  This metadata is what is used further down stream to populate the field lists in the Join tool.   

First thing to check is that Disable Auto Configure is not checked in your User Settings->Advanced tab

danilang_1-1636197595368.png

If this is not checked then you can work around this issue by including the expected field names in a dummy Text Input tool.

1.  Copy the first line from the Result window of the Dynamic Rename tool output, with Headers

2.  Right click on a blank space on the canvas and Paste your copied data.  This will create a Text Input with the correct field names, types and sizes

3.  Add a Select tool after this and change all the field types to the ":Forced" version of the type, i.e. String to String:Forced, Int32 to In32:Forced, etc

danilang_0-1636197053755.png

4.  Go back into your text input tool and delete the row of data.  

5.  Add a Union tool after the New Select tool.

6.  Disconnect the Dynamic Rename from the Join and connect it to the Union

7.  Connect the output of the Union to the Join. 

Now the Join tool will be able to use the metadata that is provided by the dummy Text Input tool if the metadata from the SharePoint File Input tool isn't available.

Dan

angelique_martin
7 - Meteor

Thank you this worked perfectly. 

Labels