Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Selecting Specific Rows in Dataset

Sntrada
11 - Bolide

Hi guys, 

I was wondering what the best way is to select specific rows in a dataset. Right now I am using a filter tool with this formula:-

[RecordID] = 1
OR [RecordID] = 3
OR [RecordID] = 5
OR [RecordID] = 7
OR [RecordID] = 9
OR [RecordID] = 11
OR [RecordID] = 13

But I was wondering if there is a better approach. I was not able to use the select records tool since that one deals with ranges. 

I'm only one week into Alteryx, so I will appreciate any help from the more experienced users.  

5 REPLIES 5
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Sntrada 

Based on the example you provided, the Select Records tool gives the advantage of being easier to specify values

is easier to enter than the expression you gave. If you want only odd rows, I would suggest using a Filter tool with the MOD( function. Here's the expression I used:

Mod([RecordID],2)

If there's another formulaic method you're like to use to select rows, let's talk about it and see if the Community can figure something out. 🙂 

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Hi, @Sntrada 

With Alteryx, the options are many.

But always also examine the field size that is generated (you might need to increase it whenever some present as byte).

RNO2_0-1591114929914.png

Sntrada
11 - Bolide

@CharlieS So I tried the select records tool before, but I entered ranges like so:-

The result only provided the 1st record and ignored all the other records

Now I see from your solution that I was setting up the tool wrong. I did it the way you specified and it works wonderfully. 

Thank you!

Sntrada
11 - Bolide

Thank you @RobertOdera!  I'm saving that graphic for future reference. 

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

You're most welcome @Sntrada 

Labels