Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Selecting Columns on Excel Data Import

thelegazy
7 - Meteor

Hi All, 

First time post, I've looked through a lot of threads and couldn't find the answer. 

I have an Excel Workbook that I'm trying to Input data from, but I only want about 6 columns of the 80 columns that have data. 

I've seen where I can select a range of data, but I don't want to pull in all the columns between G and FX. Is there anyway I can call out in the SQL which columns to import? 

Any help would be appreciated!

12 REPLIES 12
sonyakasenkramer
8 - Asteroid

And...I figured it out. Name the range in Excel, then save the file. Once you do that, the "Select a named range" radio button will be available. It does mean that all of your columns need to be in a contiguous range though. (Or I suppose you could have multiple inputs that you then join)

MarkAlmassy
5 - Atom

I had the same problem where I could not edit the SQL directly when .xlsx was selected (in 2019.4).

As a workaround, you can change the File Format to be .sqlite, then click the Table or Query "...", edit the SQL, then set the File Format back to .xlsx.

Anand_Parekar
7 - Meteor

The input window to enter query is only displayed based on the type of file ( for eg. for data base), it doesnt show query window for .xls or .xlsx files inputs.

Anand_Parekar_0-1646910928471.png

Labels