Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

REGEX Tokenize

stevenlsj789
8 - Asteroid

Hello I have a column full of data such as 

ABCD1

ABCD2

ABCD3

ABCD3_01

etc. 

I wanted to the column to show only 

3_01

What should I enter here in the Regular Expression session of the REGEX tool? 

I tried multiple ways, but it's not working for me. Thank you for your help! 

4 REPLIES 4
NickSm
Alteryx
Alteryx

@stevenlsj789 

Depending on what other data you might have in your fields, it actually might be as easy as using a Data Cleansing tool and just checking the box to remove any letters.

You could use some RegEx with an expression like (\d+\D*\d*) or similiar if needed.

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @stevenlsj789 

Using the formula Tool or Replace functionality REGEX tool should work with this:

REGEX_Replace([Field1], "^\D+(\d.*)$", "$1")

In case you use the Regex Tool:

^\D+(\d.*)$ - Expression

$1 - Replacement

Although it really depends on your data.

Cheers,

stevenlsj789
8 - Asteroid

@NickSm Thank you! it worked. Can you tell me a little bit about what does "\D" mean in this expression? i tried to play around with the "\d",  but it either come with just the number or only the _01 part. 

NickSm
Alteryx
Alteryx

Sure! 

\d signifies a digit character.  Capitalizing it to a \D signifies a non-digit, which should catch your underscore character.  Then the additional \d* catches any digits that may or may not follow the underscore.

Labels