Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Question on Field Conversion Limit Reached error when reading data from excel

PradeepKandula
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

I am trying to read an excel file with Input data and Select components and not able to read all records from excel.

My input data has rate field which I want to load to a database field of type decimal(18,4), so i changed the Type in select component and ran the work flow. It got completed with few conversion errors like below.

ConvError: Select (4): RATE: "0.56147851519062297" has too many digits after the decimal and was truncated.

ConvError: Select (4): RATE: Field Conversion Error Limit Reached

How can i get around this and read all data ?

Thanks,

Pradeep

4 REPLIES 4
RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I think you'll find that this particular "error" message is more of a warning. According to Help "the purpose of reporting conversion errors is to issue a warning to users so that data issues can be addressed before they become a problem."

In this case it should truly be a warning and does not stop the flow of data. If you put a Browse tool at the end of the workflow, you should see all of your records coming through. In your case you don't care if the values are truncated (I assume) because you are setting your decimals to just 4. But a user should always pay attention to this because there is the potential that you could have a data problem. (For example, you will get conversion errors when you try to type a String as a Fixed Decimal.

You can change the number of conversion errors that show in the Runtime tab of the Workflow Configuration (and actually have the workflow stop on reaching the limit).

PradeepKandula
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks RodL for the information. I think in my case workflow reached max limit. Where should I change the limit ?

Thanks,

Pradeep

RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You can uncheck the "Limit Conversion Errors" in the Runtime tab of the workflow.

But again, it shouldn't keep records from going through the workflow...the truncation message is really just a warning.

So if you have 100 records in your Excel spreadsheet, even though your are getting the Conversion Error messages, you should still see 100 records at the end of the workflow. Is that not the case?

PradeepKandula
6 - Meteoroid

I see all the records. Earlier I was going by no of records processed message instead of using browse tool to view the data. I got it now Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Pradeep

Labels