Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output to multiple xlsx files

ansonwun
8 - Asteroid

(This was originally posted in the Knowledge Base but I think this is a better place to ask so I've moved it... Please pardon the confusion.)

Hi. Recently I need to do something similar to this knowledge article:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Split-Output-Into-Multiple-Files-with-Specif...

but I ran into a problem. The example above is outputting to Alteryx database format. I'd like to output mine into multiple Excel files (not worksheets). But it gave me a "You must specify a sheet name error." I tried different combination of the "Output Options" and "Take File/Table name from field" and still to no avail. My setting is this:

image.png

Basically my data has a few hundred rows with 2 columns only, and I'd like to split it into some 20+ files according to the "Dept" field.

Many thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

The field value must be in the format <FileName>|||<SheetName>

Easiest way is to append the |||Sheet1 using a formula just before the output.

Simple example attached

ansonwun
8 - Asteroid

Thanks so much! Works perfectly!

jho
5 - Atom

This solution is outputting the files I need, but the files seem to be corrupted. I selected .xlsx, but the files appear as type "File." I'm assuming it's an easy fix: any idea why these outputs would be corrupted?

btitze
5 - Atom

Hey jho,

you can just change the formula tool to [Field1] + '.xlsx|||Sheet1' and it will work.

Labels