Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output data - after render

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Am I crazy or was it possible in older (say pre 2021.2) version of Alteryx to output data to a file created with render in the same workflow assuming that such a process was done in a batch macro or otherwise timed properly via block until done etc...

Today I had some issues adding sheets via output data to a file created by render in a DIFFERENT workflow (ie a pre-existing excel file). That section of the workflow worked fine on a non-render created excel file but when tried with multiple render created excel files it crashed the xml of the new sheet.

Note in both of these cases - Alteryx says that it wrote out the correct number of records but upon opening and did not produce an in-Workflow/App error but upon opening I got the dreaded excel XML error message and there was no data in that sheet.

3 REPLIES 3
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @apathetichell 

Here's an example of how I've done it before.

The key is to create the Sheet using the Render tool and then you can overwrite it with the Output data tool, avoiding the XML error message.

I just retested the workflow in 2021.3 and it still works ok.

DavidP_0-1643043838077.png

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Thanks - for anyone following at home - let me give you a bit more nuance to @DavidP 's solution:

1) timing is key - make sure you output data after your render (which I did originally)

2) the sheet you want to output data must exist in render. That means rendering a blank sheet.

See @DavidP 's config here:

overwrite-sheet or range.png

2. Note again - he has it as Overwrite Sheet or Range. He's already created the blank sheet.

3. Let's say you want to set this as create new sheet.

create new sheet.png

XML error message

excel xml error.png

I'd still refer to this as "a bug" but thanks for the workaround @DavidP ...

ClaraLin
7 - Meteor

I agree the solution is not ideal.  I prefer not to have to use Output tool to bypass this issue with Render tool.

Labels