Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Nested If

danishrizvi
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I have 3 columns - "Hours" (string) and "Login_Time" (time) and "Logout_Time"(time).

I want to get an outcome that if "Login_Time" is more than 08:00:00 then I should get "Late Login". If "Logout_Time" is blank then "No Logout" and if "Hours" are less than 9 then it should show "Early Logout" and if "Hours" are more than 12 then it should show "Incorrect Logout" and if none of the above then "-".

Please also confirm whether I will need to change the formats (string)(time) for any of the columns for the calculations to work? Appreciate your help.

7 REPLIES 7
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

In Alteryx, there is the traditional if statement:

IIF(evaluation statement, true value, false value)

But there is also a conditional statement that I think is a lot cleaner than using nested IIF statements

IF evaluation statement

THEN value

ELSEIF second evaluation statement

THEN value

ELSEIF third evaluation statement

THEN value

ELSE value

ENDIF

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @danishrizvi ,

Attached in one example showing how to accomplish it.

The only thing you need to change to make a cleaner if statement is to change the hours to integer or double if decimal.

Let me know if that works for you.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

hi @danishrizvi 

What about multiple conditions, i.e. Late Login and Early Logout?

Dan

danishrizvi
7 - Meteor

Thank you so much. I just had to tweak the first part of the formula

if DateTimeDiff('08:00:00',[Login_time],'minutes')>0
then 'Late Login'

to:

if [Login_time]> '08:00:00'
then 'Late Login'.

Worked perfect.Really appreciate your help on the full formula. Thank you.

danishrizvi
7 - Meteor

Another question on the nested if.

I have a column that has null/blank values, and "null" itself as a value, and "N/A" as a value, and "Not Applicable" as a value, and "none" as a value. I want to convert all these to a single value "N/A" and anything else in that column is to stay as is.

example formula I am trying to use is - 

IF IsNull([Column Name]) THEN "N/A" ELSEIF "Not Applicable" THEN "N/A" ELSEIF "null" THEN "N/A" ELSEIF "none" THEN "N/A" ELSE [Column Name] ENDIF.

However the above formula just converts the nulls/blanks to "N/A" and does not change the others ("Not Applicable", "none", "null") values to "N/A". Help

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

You are missing the column name in your elseif statements

IF IsNull([Column Name])

THEN "N/A"

ELSEIF [Column Name] = "Not Applicable"

THEN "N/A"

ELSEIF [Column Name] = "null"

THEN "N/A"

ELSEIF [Column Name] = "none"

THEN "N/A"

ELSE [Column Name]

ENDIF.

danishrizvi
7 - Meteor

@BrandonB Thanks a ton. Much appreciate.

Labels