Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multi-Row Formula

knnwndlm
8 - Asteroid

Hi SME,

I have a table with various Type values. I need them to be calculated based on the Type as indicated in the Excel file below.  The result would be column D.  Could you please help me understand how to use the Multi-Row Formula to get this presumably this is the most efficient to do this?  I attempted to do it but it's long and cumbersome.

Thanks,

kwl

8 REPLIES 8
Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @knnwndlm 

Could you please explain better the logic behind this sum? For example, why the row 9 (DST3) was summed to make the DST group?

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1672773862452.png

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@knnwndlm I think find and replace is the best option here instead of the multi-row tool

binuacs_0-1672773902977.png

knnwndlm
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Felipe_Ribeir0 

There's really logic behind it except to present the info in a certain perspective for the users.

Thanks,

kwl

knnwndlm
8 - Asteroid

Hi @binuacs 

The example is a simple one.  The workflow I'm building is rather intricate.  Could you please show me how to use the Multi-Row Formula tool to achieve the same results?

Thanks,

kwl

knnwndlm
8 - Asteroid

Hi @binuacs

The lower branch you showed is pre-calculated.  My dataset has a lot variety of combination - hence, I need to figure some ways to use the Multi-Row Formula to add up the various records prior to join them back to the original dataset.

Thanks,

kwl 

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@knnwndlm Can you explain the logic behind each type? for eg: DST is the sum of all DST type + DST3 type

DST1 type + DST2 Type gives the value 1700, so if you can provide the logic we can see which tool would be helpful here

knnwndlm
8 - Asteroid

Hi @binuacs 

There's no logic really.  It's based on the past reports where people want to highlight certain aspect of the combined amounts based on the Type.  I know that it's strange, but I'm trying to replicate past reports in a workflow.  If you can show me how to grab and add the rows based on the Type, then I would be able to figure out the rest. 

Thanks,

kwl

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@knnwndlm one way of doing this, since you mentioned there is no specific logic I used the same logic in the given input to generate the output

binuacs_0-1672829400227.png

Labels