Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Make a tool dynamic from the datastream

Hiblet
10 - Fireball

I would like to adapt the Regex Parse tool to make it dynamic.  The intention is to pass in the regex pattern from the datastream, either as a column in the data or as a control value somehow.  I have tried experimenting with wrapping the tool in a macro, and then using the Action Tool to try to update the XML, but I cannot get it to work.  Most of the documentation on the Action Tool focuses on interactive user input.  How can I reconfigure the Regex pattern from the datastream?

The inbound data would be a text column, and a Regex pattern column.  I would be OK if the pattern was the same for each text string, but I just need to be able to build the pattern from data, rather than have it hard-wired.

6 REPLIES 6
PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

You can use a field with a regex pattern in the formula tool. And that pattern can be as dynamic as you like based on incoming data... I think

PhilipMannering_0-1633339927216.png

JoeHerbert
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Hiblet if I'm understanding this right I think using the Formula tool & REGEX_Replace could suffice using the 'pattern' field as a dynamic input? 

JoeHerbert_1-1633340077307.png

Christina_H
14 - Magnetar

The above answers might cover what you need, but here's a version using the Regex Parse tool in a macro.

Hiblet
10 - Fireball

Sorry, should have been more specific, I am trying to tokenize the data to extract the matches.

Hiblet
10 - Fireball

Apologies, I am trying to extract the strings that match, to rows, so my wrapped tool would be a Regex Parse set to Tokenize with output as Rows. 

Hiblet
10 - Fireball

Christina's got the solution I needed.  I was trying to get the control parameter from the actual inbound data stream, which is where I was confused.  Thanks for the help!

Labels