Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Join Tool Not Matching Exact Matches

EYamada
7 - Meteor

Any reasons a Join Tool may not match exact matches?

I have two files I am trying to join by unique ID fields, both V_String fields.  These ID's contain both numbers and letters, I have manually found several exact matches, but the Join Tool returns 0 records joined.  Any thoughts?

Thank you.

EY

14 REPLIES 14
EYamada
7 - Meteor

Hi Paul

I went back and parsed out any non-breaking spaces, and the join matched the same number of records as my work around.  

Thank you for your response!

EY

Mika_IONE
7 - Meteor

Hi!

I've actually manage to break the join tool two times myself. I spent lots of time trying to figure out why the join didnt work. Then I deleted the join tool and put in a new node. The good thing is that it worked right away. The bad thing is that I have no clue what caused it.

//Mika

dweaver
5 - Atom

For whatever reason, converting the IDs to Upper case worked for me.

soncoku
9 - Comet

@Mika_IONE hahahahha it's funny cuz your solution worked for me too.

txjohnnypops79
8 - Asteroid

Formula, Uppercase on both unique IDs solved my issue but i feel like this let me down as i thought it would not care about casing.

I reported some info wrong to my customer assuming this was not an issue so now i have to update my workflows to check casing.

Is this a bug or is this is how this join operates??

Labels