Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Issue Connecting to the SharePoint List Input

FFFool
9 - Comet

Hello. Trying to connect to our company's SP site through the SharePoint List Input tool. We can't seem to figure out what the proper Domain\Username combination is. 

First Criteria is URL: Should this inlcude the %20 in place of spaces, or the spaces themselves? 

Second Criteria is Username: Says should be Domain\Username. I've seen elsewhere the Domain may be included in the URL? I can't seem to get any combination of what the Domain might be to work. I'm pretty new with these kind of connections, though, so I'm sure I'm way off on something. 

Third Criteria is Password: This can only be one thing, so I know this is good. 

My company does use a "Single Signon". I'm not sure if something like that would interfere. I have other SP sites mapped to network drives with no problem. I log into those each day through a Novell Login. 

Not sure what info you guys will need to help solve this, and I don't want to share too much private information here, so please let me know what you need, and a private conversation with generic answers posted here may be the way to go. 

Thank you,

7 REPLIES 7
HannahSinclair
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi,

To go by the criteria:

1. It does not actually matter if the spaces are acutal spaces or %20. If you leave them as actual spaces, we simply encode them to %20 when the actual call to SharePoint is made.

2. The Username must actually include the domain, so needs to be in the Domain\Username format.

The Single Sign-On should not be causing an issue, especially if you specify the domain with the username. Could you send the general error you are receiving? 

You also may want to check that the URL you are pointing to is for a SharePoint site and not, for example, a Document Repository within a site. Depending on what version of SharePoint you are using it may move, but there should be a link to somehwere on the page to show "Site Contents" which is a good place to see which site you are in. Or if you even have access to Site Settings, that should display that actual site URL.

Let me know if this helps or if you have further questions and would like to start a private thread.

Hannah Keller

Software Engineer

Alteryx, Inc.

FFFool
9 - Comet

Hi Hanna. Thanks for the post.

Interesting note about the URL not being a Document Repository, hadn't thought about that, but given the amount of different links I tried, I'm sure one of them was only the site. 

The error I'm getting just says to "Please enter a valid connection".

I'm 90% sure it is because i don't have the correct Domain/Username combination, but I don't know how to find out what the correct Domain/Username combination is. There are only 2 options for my Username, so that isn't really a problem, but I have no idea about the Domain.  

Thanks again!

FFFool
9 - Comet

Hannah, 

Just figured it out. It was the URL. The Domain/Username I had worked and loaded the list, so now I'm on my way, hopefully. 

Thanks!

HannahSinclair
Alteryx
Alteryx

Great, glad to hear you got it figured out! Feel free to reach out if you run into further issues.

Hannah

Nifty
5 - Atom

Hey FFFool -

You said the URL was the issue. What was wrong with it? 

I'm running into the same error message you did, connecting to a SharePoint online list.

Thx!

FFFool
9 - Comet

Hey Nifty,

This was a while ago, so I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that the issue was that the URL I was putting in was not the URL to the main page, but rather somewhere down the directory. You need to make sure to start with the main page. 

This Paragraph from the original answer is what helped me solve my problem. 

"You also may want to check that the URL you are pointing to is for a SharePoint site and not, for example, a Document Repository within a site. Depending on what version of SharePoint you are using it may move, but there should be a link to somehwere on the page to show "Site Contents" which is a good place to see which site you are in. Or if you even have access to Site Settings, that should display that actual site URL."

Thanks,

Nifty
5 - Atom

Thanks, FFFool! 

As it turns out, Alteryx's SharePoint connectors currently do not support connection to Sharepoint online.  According to thread in this link, its on the roadmap & Alteryx is "hoping to release this feature in the next major version, which should be towards the end of this year."  :) 

http://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Product-Ideas/SharePoint-Online-Office-365-Cloud-Instance-Co...

Cheers!

Labels