Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to split one column of data into several records having multiple variables.

SBerube
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I'll start by saying that this is my first post, and I hope I'll do a good job at explaining my problem precisely. Also, I did looked in the community, but didn't find exactly what I am looking for.

I'm extracting data from a website, have I'm having problems processing it to create a data table. So far I managed to extract one column which contains all my data (hundreds of rows). Each data record has a data followed by 11 variables. So row 1 =  record 1 (or date 1), row 2 = record 1 and var 1... row 13 = record 2 (or date 2), row 14 = record 2 var 2, etc.

At the end I'd like to have the field "date" and the 11 variables in columns and as many records as I have rows. Attached is an Excel file which replicates the data structure, but you'll understand that in the real scenario data comes from a "download" web connector.

Thank you fro your help.

Thank you

10 REPLIES 10
nick_ceneviva
11 - Bolide

This can be accomplished using a combination of the multi-row formula tool and the Cross Tab tool.  The attached example should get the data into your desired output.  You could then change the column names to match what you are looking using a text input tool and they dynamic rename tool or using the select tool.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions about the solution!

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hey @SBerube! Try the attached workflow where I used your sample Excel workbook. Note the workflow assumes that the amount of rows that belong to each date is fixed. Also, you will have to label the new columns, potentially with a Select tool after the Cross Tab.

SBerube
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you very much Nick,

This is very simple and it works great!

SBerube
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you very much; your solution works too! :)

anaaz
5 - Atom

I have old version alteryx how can i open this file to look at the  formula .... its poping up a message this document is old cannot open

anaaz
5 - Atom

my old version is not supporting to this file....  is there any way to file this file for the answer?

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora
Hey @anaaz

If you open the yxmd file with a text editor like notepad... On the very first line you will notice the version the workflow was created with... Change this to your version and save

Neil
anaaz
5 - Atom

how can I open it with text editor like notepad?

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Right click on the .yxmd file after you have downloaded it to your computer.

Labels