Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to read excel with protected password using alteryx

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Dear Community,

May i know if there is any solution that we can use to read the excel protected file using alteryx?

I saw online that some of articles suggesting using the R-Code and would like to know if there is other method to do it?

Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @SH_94,

Yeah you can import password protected files using the python tool (I've attached an example workflow). You will most definitely have to run the workflow in admin mode. Ping if you have any questions.

IraWatt_0-1650735782574.png

Put your directory in the first section (make sure to leave the r at the begining) and the password in the second

IraWatt_1-1650735939791.png

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Example Workflow: 

Give a green tick if it works ;) 

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

IraWatt_0-1650798689466.png

What happens if you set the Kernel to jupytertool_venu or continue without, can you still run the code? The Kernel is the program which runs the python code. By default my kernel is designerbasedtools. The reason may be that you haven't installed the admin version of Alteryx or the R based tools but I'm not sure just yet.

IraWatt_1-1650798984003.png

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Hi @IraWatt ,

I have set it to jupytertool and it show the result as below:

SH_94_0-1650803274831.png

May i know how can i fix the error for this part?

Many thanks again.

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@SH_94 First thing I'd check is what version of Alteryx your using by going to help->about (should show as below), I'd try installing the up to date Admin Designer.

IraWatt_1-1650803909528.png

Also I'd try installing the predictive tools admin version:

IraWatt_0-1650803852555.png

I'd also check what kernels are available by hovering over change Kernel and seeing if there are any other ones you can select:

IraWatt_2-1650804067940.png

There is also a potential fix here Error: NoSuchKernel: No such kernel named jupytert... - Alteryx Community 

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Error: NoSuchKernel: No such kernel named designer... - Alteryx Community - this article also looks like it could fix the kernel issue

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Hi @IraWatt ,

This is my alteryx version as per screenshot below :

SH_94_0-1650809048348.png

May i know if i need to install anything before using the tools that u mentioned? Sorry that i quite new to this area.

Thank you.

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Hi @IraWatt ,

May i ask if the tools can be used for the alteryx version 2020.4.5? As i cant upgrade from my end due to this is company purchased software.

Thank you.

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Ive had a read and I believe your version should be alright. I think the answer to you issue is discussed here (essentially you need to rename your kernel): Error: NoSuchKernel: No such kernel named jupytert... - Alteryx Community

The following should be done on all worker nodes in a multi-node Server environment.

1. To resolve this issue, make sure that all instances of Designer on the Server are closed.
  2. Open a File Explore and navigate to the following location
    1. %Installed_Location%\Alteryx\bin\Miniconda3\envs\JupyterTool_vEnv\share\jupyter\kernels 
    2. for me this was located here: C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\Miniconda3\envs
  3. Rename the folder that says "python3" to "jupytertool_venv"
  4. After that double click that folder and local the kernel.json
  5. Open the JSON in any text editor
  6. For the line "display_name" change it from "python3" to "jupytertool_venv" and save the file
  7. After this, reopen Designer and the workflow that was throwing the error earlier and try to run it. Once you confirm it works through Designer try to run it from the Gallery again.

If this doesn't work it will be interesting to see what is contained within your Alteryx\bin\Miniconda3\envs file as that is where your kernel should be. 

Labels