Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to get Render tool to group data into separate reports after a Visual Layout tool

ELPC
8 - Asteroid

I need help all!   If I have one Table tool that is then connected to a Render tool, there is an option to "Group Data Into Separate Reports" to create a separate file per location.  However, since I need a header and the table with the information stacked, I have created two tables that is then fed into a Visual Layout tool before the Render tool.  Now I can't figure out how to get separate reports by location created.  I essentially want each report to have the header and only information for one location.  So one report for Los Angeles, one report for New York and one report for London.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.  

I've attached my sample workflow.  

Report photo.jpg

10 REPLIES 10
MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@ELPC 

To split the data into multiple tables by location, you need to use the Group by option within the table tool.

tablegroupby.png

Instead of using two tables and the Visual Layout, you can add the heading using the Report Text tool and choose to place it above the existing object - Table.

report-text.png

You will then use the Render tool and split the tables into individual files based on the Location. Example attached.

render-location.png

ELPC
8 - Asteroid

Thank you so much!  That worked.  I was trying to use a separate table tool because I may have to input a date into the header and wanted it to be able to be changed based upon an Input tool.  However, I guess I can just update the date in the Report Text tool every year instead.  

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx
You can even use a field from a connected tool within the Report text tool if you wanted to have this changed dynamically.
ELPC
8 - Asteroid

Thank you so much for the additional suggestion!  I figured out how to add the existing field.  That totally helped!  

Anshee
5 - Atom

Hi I have tried with Render tool, but it seems to be inactive in my workflow?  Is there a way I can group the data based on particular field.  Also I can use render tool only from layout.  Anshee_0-1583754224314.png

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Anshee 

If you check the box "Group data into separate reports" you will be able to choose a group by field.

You can use the Render tool after any of the reporting tools, not just after the Layout tool.

vplante
7 - Meteor

Hi @Anshee, hope you've found your answer by now.

For others having this issue, do select in the "Output Mode" dropdown  > "Choose a Specific Output File".

Then, you should be able to tick the "Group Data Into Separate Reports'" option.

Anshee
5 - Atom

Thank you. 

nsessa
7 - Meteor

Hi @MichalM 

Thank you for this suggestion, I am going through the same issue. My question is; is it even possible to group data into separate reports when using the visual layout tool? I am working on building a report that is complex and the visual layout tool seems to be the best option for creating. 

Labels