Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to Still Output a File, Even If a Query Returns Zero Results

RonGatmaitan
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

Pretty self-explanatory, based on the title.

I have a workflow that queries from a database (In-Database tool), processes the data, and then uploads it via Amazon S3 Upload tool. The client expects a file, whether there is data processed or not. Problem is, Alteryx's default is usually not to output anything, when there is no data. Is there a simple way around this?

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @RonGatmaitan 

You could add a null data row with text input tool+union tool to the dataset. I think that it would solve your issue.

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1668426227131.png

Felipe_Ribeir0_1-1668426269481.png

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @RonGatmaitan,

Interesting question, when I try this even with zero records a file is still wrote to S3:

IraWatt_0-1668426577579.png

RonGatmaitan
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Felipe_Ribeir0, will look into this. :)

Hi @IraWatt, even if it said 0 records were written? Did you check the AWS Bucket if I file was written?

RonGatmaitan
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Felipe_Ribeir0, not sure if I can add a null data row. Should only be uploading the headers. Is there an if-then tool?

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@RonGatmaitan yeah you can see the S3 input tool below. My DB just outputted one header with no records, and it wrote to S3. When i input the data, I just get the header with no records. 

RonGatmaitan
8 - Asteroid

Hi @IraWatt

Oh, yes, it did work!

Here where, I realized, the problem was.

RonGatmaitan_0-1668494376276.png

The parameter being passed as filename to the macro which contains the AWS Upload is also dependent on the script. The script doesn't return a value, the workflow doesn't pass a parameter.

Here's what I did, instead.

RonGatmaitan_1-1668494584204.png

This way, even if the query doesn't return a value, the parameter still generates a file name.

Thank you very much for your valuable insight! Accepting your answer as solution.

Labels