Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Help with generating combinations of letters

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi!

Don't know why I'm stumped on this one.

I have a list of unique letters, and I want to generate all combinations of letters

For example:

Letter

a
b
c

should yield:

Letter
a
b
c
ab
ac
bc
abc

Thanks!!

9 REPLIES 9
DanS
9 - Comet

The attached does what you want (ugly, but gets the job done)

I did a self join on a dummy "Group" and from there concatenated all possible combos that don't include identical letters.

From there I split them to rows in order to remove the duplicate pairs and did a bunch of grouping and concatenating with no delimiter.

Unioned back all possible combos including a combo of all original values at the bottom. 

Let me know if that works for you!

sjm
8 - Asteroid

I found a Combination macro in the Gallery that might be helpful: https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/Combination/5602ee03a248970eac03bebf

"Generates combinations for a set of items.

ex. "a, b, c" generates "a, b, c, ab, ac, bc, abc"

Author: Alex Koszycki

Copyright: Alteryx, Inc. 2015"

mborriero
11 - Bolide

This simple workflow will generate combinations with lengths 1, 2 and N (Where N is the number of the letters given as input).

I hope this helps.

mborriero
11 - Bolide

This iterative macro does actually what you want.

Alex Koszycki

Alteryx, Inc.

Alteryx, Inc. 2015

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

There are unknown tools coming up in this macro. I'm going to try to download the one from the Gallery

mborriero
11 - Bolide

Sorry my bad. Try it now.

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Thanks everyone, for your help so far. 

The macro from the gallery isn't working for what I need. It generates only an "a" and nothing more. I'll keep plugging away....

Best,

Esther

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

this works, thank you! Now to turn it into an iterative macro that can handle from 1-n letters......

mborriero
11 - Bolide

Does this work for you?

Labels