Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Grouping by rows

alex_reevoo
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

Have a question

I have data like the below, the purpose of this report is to find the most popular products betwee multiple retaielr

RETAILER PRODUCT NAME

Retailer 1      PRODUCT 1

Retailer 1      PRODUCT 2

Retailer 1      PRODUCT 3

Retailer 1      PRODUCT 4

Retailer 1      PRODUCT 5

Retailer 2      PRODUCT 1

Retailer 2      PRODUCT 2

Retailer 2      PRODUCT 3

Retailer 2      PRODUCT 4

Retailer 2      PRODUCT 5

I'd like to convert this (potentially with transpose I think?) so that the data looks like this:

RETAILER 1  RETAILER 2

Product 1       Product 1

Product 2       Product 2

Product 3       Product 3

Product 4       Product 4

Product 5       Product 5

How would I go about ensuring that the retailer names are now the headers?

Cheers!

Alex

6 REPLIES 6
MikeA
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi Alex,

To get your data into your desired format, you could use the Cross Tab tool. In the properties of the cross tab tool you would want to Group By your "PRODUCT NAME", select "RETAILER" as your New Column Headers, and "PRODUCT NAME" as your Values for New Columns.

Capture.PNG

This will result in your input data....

Capture.PNG

"Pivoting" into the following format:

Capture.PNG

The First "PRODUCT NAME" field is a result of the grouping process in the cross tab tool and could easily be turned off with a select tool.

Thanks!

alex_reevoo
8 - Asteroid

Hi Mike,

Perfect that's almost got it.

Suppose now that the output product names are different for both retailers. This has resulted in certain rows being blank for Retailer 1, but populated with data for retailer 2.

How do I remove these blanks, so that I only product an output of 5 rows, rather than 10?

Alex

MikeA
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi Alex,

For this one you will want to make use of the multi-row formula tool to create a new ID that will link up Product 1 from Retailer 1 with Product 6 from Retailer 2 for example. Once this ID is created you can use the cross tab tool to pivot the data into the desired format. Check out the attached workflow for an example of this process.

Thanks!

And Thank you to @MargaritaW for the assist on this one!

alex_reevoo
8 - Asteroid

Hi Mike,

Hate to be a pain, our company is  using an older version of Alteryx (10.1.6) - are you able to reupload in that format?

Cheers and thanks for continued support!

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
If you open the yxmd file using notepad, you can edit the header from 10.5 to 10.0 and be able to use it.
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
alex_reevoo
8 - Asteroid

Thank you!!!

Labels