Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Give Error Message if the join result it Empty

Inactive User
Not applicable

Hi,

I know there is message tool can be used for error message.

But how to give Error Message if the join result is empty. I mean if there are no rows come out from join tool. I cannot use message tool to set up an error message.

Anyone ideas?

Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9
cbridges
11 - Bolide

How about trying a count records tool first, as in attached?

See message #11

@thizviz
cbridges
11 - Bolide

Or are you wanting it to actually error out, not just give a message?

@thizviz
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I would use a Record Count and Test Tool.

You can attach it to the Join and then verify that the value if not 0. Setting the Runtime settings of the Workflow allows you to cause it to stop on an error as well.

2016-05-06_08-12-26.jpg

Simple sample attached with workflow set to abort on Error

Inactive User
Not applicable

Hi Cbridges,

I tried the  count records tool.

The problem is that if I use this tool, then it will ignore all the other fields and only output the field count.

Thank you.

Inactive User
Not applicable

Hi jdunkerley79,

I tried the  count records tool.

The problem is that if I use this tool, then it will ignore all the other fields and only output the field count.

For example,  if there have records after the join, the count records tool will only give out the filed 'count'

cbridges
11 - Bolide

You can attach multiple outputs to the join tool - like in the attached modification of @jdunkerley79 workflow.

So, if it had passed the test, the data would continue on through the select tools and you can do whatever you want to do with the data after that.

SS201605056.png

@thizviz
Inactive User
Not applicable

Thank you so much. It works!

cbridges
11 - Bolide

Glad to hear it!

@thizviz
Aum
8 - Asteroid

This saves me time and headache! Thank you.

Labels