Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Format KML Output

EW
11 - Bolide

I frequently use the Output tool to create KML files of points or polygons.  Is there a way to do basic formatting in the KML file?  I'd love to be able to choose a line or background color, for example.  Especially if it could be dynamic for thematic maps.  I've looked in the spatial and reporting tools some, searched, and couldn't find anything but I thought I'd ask since Alteryx never ceases to amaze me!  

4 REPLIES 4
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @EW 

So I guess you've discovered that the Alteryx support for KML output starts and ends with a spatial object and a label for that spatial object. Luckily, KML is just an XML-structured text file.  When I've prepared KML files for other applications outside Alteryx, I compiled the text for the spatial objects and all the additional features, then saved that as a text file with a ".kml" extension. 

In case others are interested, here's a link to the KML documentation with examples of what the file format can support:

https://developers.google.com/kml/documentation/kml_tut 

EW
11 - Bolide

Thanks Charlie!  I'll try that, was hoping there'd be a tool option.  🙂

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @EW 

Any news on this?  If @CharlieS 's answer works or is a good start at getting you the results, please consider accepting it as a solution.

Learn more about Accepted Solutions here,

Thanks

Dan

EW
11 - Bolide

Sort of, I think editing the kml text directly works, but it's a lot less direct than I was hoping.  After I got confirmation this isn't possible for current tools directly, I added it to the ideas forum here, hopefully that's OK!

Labels