community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Community v19.6

Looks aren't everything... But the latest Community refresh looks darn good!

Learn More

Error in ConnectNamedPipe. Happens when checking "disable all tools that write output"

Meteoroid

Yesterday my alteryx designer stopped working with the "Error in ConnectNamedPipe The pipe is being closed." error message.  I googled this and found several posts about it. https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Error-in-ConnectNamedPipe/td-p/81262. 

So I have tried a few of the suggested fixes, and am still seeing the problem. I have unrestricted security access on my computer, and we run bit defender end point security as out corp antivirus software.

Monday I downladed and installed the current version of alteryx (2019.2) and I was able to run several workflows just fine before I went home, including a big 3 hour data load process.  No problems I thought.  

Tuesday I was unable to run ANY workflows. I looked at my security settings as described in the above link.  I am not able to turn off or disable bitdefender.  I have tried running with both the new version (2019.2) and the older version that I was using before (2018.2) and I get the same error.

Today I was trying again to troubleshoot the problem, so I opened up a nice simple workflow and I went to check the "disable all tools that write output" runtime option so I didn't over write any files, and I IMMEDIATELY got the pipe error.  I did not push the run button, just clicking the option triggered the error.

Anyway, right now I can't run anything, and I am the only one in the company that uses alteryx.  It isn't an emergency NOW, but it will be as soon as some needs to be done yesterday work request comes in, and I am falling behind on some longer term projects.

Any insights or solutions would be helpful

thanks,

czmtzc

Alteryx Certified Partner

Hi,

Have you tried changing the workflow memory size?

From

clipboard_image_0.png

To:

clipboard_image_1.png

[]

Meteoroid

I did try changing the memory setting as you showed, but it did not help.

I also tried installing on a different computer, moving the activation key and trying there, but that didn't work either.

I tried running two different workflows in both versions 2018.2 and 2019.2  Same error message trying to run and when turning off the output.

thanks anyway!

Hi,

I don't know the size of the workflow but have tried putting a block until done tool to scale the process.

[]

Meteoroid

The workflow I am testing with is a fairly small completed workflow from last week.  All it is doing is combining two CSV files, doing some deduping and spitting out a combined file. Maybe 15,000 records total (mailing addresses) usually just takes a few seconds to run.

It gets the pipe error when you try to run it of course, but since it was a working process I made last week, and I didn't want to overwrite the output file, I saw that it is generating the named pipe error even just when I go to the runtime options to turn off output.

Hi,

Have you looked at the memory log used. Follow below ...

clipboard_image_0.png

[]

Meteoroid

error_messge1.PNG

As you can see it is doing NOTHING.  Just opening and closing, 

Hi,

And as you said the error only occurs when you set the runtime option to disable output. right? Another question, do you have a select or browse tool in the workflow?

[]

Meteoroid

1.  I get the same error when ever I try to run anything.  BUT It also will generate the error if I select either the Disable all browse tools or Disable all write tools just spontaneously when I select them.

2. there are no browse tools on this particular workflow, but there IS a selection tool.  tried removing the selection tool, and while it did let me delete it it also created the same named pipe error.

Hi,

Actually I asked if there is a browse tool and select tool because they are important if there is no output tool.

Take this test:

Before the output tool put the block until done tool and plug in output # 1 output tool

[]

Labels