Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Input - List of Excel Sheet Names

mcha54
8 - Asteroid

Hi there! I'm trying to get a list of sheet names for a sheet that I feed the filepath (eg C:\excel.xlsx) into a Dynamic Input tool. I receive a message saying "No sheet specified, you must specify a sheet". I don't know what the sheet names are, hence trying to get a list of sheet names. Is there a different configuration that I need to do for this?

2019-02-06_11-24-42.png

6 REPLIES 6
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @mcha54 

Try to add a Formula Tool before the Dynamic Input to your FilePath Field

Use this formula:

[FilePath] + "|||<List of Sheet Names>"

It should work.

Cheers,

mcha54
8 - Asteroid

Worked like a charm, thank you!

7 - Meteor

Hi !

Thanks for that tip - it helped me out too.  Out of curiosity, where in the documentation can I find out more about <List of Sheet Names> and others like it ?

PoojaSingh88
7 - Meteor

Doing this ( adding formula ) before the dynamic input reads the sheet names from the excel file not the contents ..wham am i missing 

kgordish
8 - Asteroid

@Thableaus 
Could I ask you post a screen capture of the formula in the config screen of the formula tool?

I am a visual learner. 

Currently, struggling with importing multiple Excel files (with multiple sheets). Only want to import one sheet.
Surprisingly, this problem has be scratching my head.

Thanks.

Kevin

williamdilley
6 - Meteoroid

My Dynamic input tool is requiring an Input Data Source Template

Labels