Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Column Select tool based upon Expected Names

bsharbo
11 - Bolide
I have a procses where I need to produce multiple Excel file outputs that come from a Database Table.

The table has a category column which has multiple values such as "spoc" and "Mers".  I want to split out the files by this category value (one file for Spoc, one for Mers, etc).  I am able to do this with a batch macro.

HOWEVER: The spoc file should only contain 4 of the fields from the data-table (which has 10 fields) and the MERS file should contain 7 of the 10 fields.  This information on which file should contain which columns is found in another data-base mapping table.  It looks like follows.

Mapping Table:
Group Category   Columns to Output:
MERS     LOANID
MERS     BORROWERNAME
MERS     BORROWERAGE
MERS     BORROWERADDRESS
MERS     PAYMENTAMOUNT
MERS     PAYMENTDATE
MERS     SERVICERNAME
SPOC     LOANID
SPOC     CALLPERIOD
SPOC     AGENTNAME
SPOC     CALLCENTERNAME

Is there a way that I can take an input stream (a read from the entire table) and then select the 7 columns from MERS and the 4 columns from Spoc dynamically without having to manually manipulate the select tool for each grouping.  My actual table has 1000+ groupings and having to create a select tool for each is just not a realistic expectation.

Let me know if my question isn't clear enough! thanks!
1 REPLY 1
Ned
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You could do it with a combination of the DynamicRename and the DynamicSelect tools.

Using you input data, create new names named "Keep-" + [FieldName].  Then use the DynamicRename tool with the mode "Take field names from right input rows" to rename your fields.

And then use the DynamicSelect in formula mode with a formula:

Left([Name],5)=="Keep-"

And finally use another Dynamic rename to get rid of the Keep- in formula mode with something like:

SubString([_CurrentField_], 5)

This would all be easy to button up as a macro with 2 inputs.

Labels