Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Does Render tool allows creating a new excel sheet without overwriting the existing sheets

Mohd-Siddiqui1
8 - Asteroid

Hi there,

I am using Render tool to create the final output excel file(.xlsx). The final output excel file is consisting of 4 excel sheets inside of it namely: "1. ABC" , "2. DEF" , "3. KLMN" , "4. XYZ".

The excel sheet "2.DEF" is having 171000 rows of data due to which render tool is giving "out of memory error". For resolving this error, I have split the workflow into 2 parts i.e. one part of the workflow is producing the final output excel file(.xlsx) by including "1. ABC" ,"3. KLMN" , "4. XYZ" sheets only and the another part of the workflow producing the final output excel file(.xlsx) by including "2. DEF" sheet only.

So now Render tool is overwriting the sheets i.e. if I am running the 1st part of the workflow, then followed by 2nd part of the workflow so only "2. DEF" sheet can be seen in the final output excel file(.xlsx). Do we have any ways to prevent overwriting of the sheets or file in Render Tool?

Apart from this, I have tried another approach in which I am using Render tool in the first part of the workflow which is producing the final output excel file(.xlsx) which includes "1. ABC" ,"3. KLMN" , "4. XYZ" sheets only. And in the second part of the workflow which is producing the final output excel file(.xlsx) by including "2. DEF" sheet only, I am using output tool for the creating a new sheet in "2. DEF" sheet in the output excel file(.xlsx) which includes "1. ABC" ,"3. KLMN" , "4. XYZ" sheets generated by 1st part of the workflow using Render tool. But the issue is that sometimes final output excel file (.xlsx) is getting corrupted. On opening the file, excel prompts a file recovery message.

Could anyone please help, as I am stuck with this issue .

4 REPLIES 4
JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi @Mohd-Siddiqui1 ,

The Render tool by design will  overwrites the whole file.

One option is to use a Block Until Done to write the 3 tabs first with the Render tool and then write the 4th with an Output Data tool.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Jagdeesh

Mohd-Siddiqui1
8 - Asteroid

Hi @JagdeeshN 

Thanks for your quick response.

I'll try using the Block Until Done tool in the workflow and will get back to you.

Do you know why the final output excel file is getting corrupted on using the output tool (used in 2nd approach) on creating the "2. DEF" sheet (containing 171000 rows) ?

JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

@Mohd-Siddiqui1 

is there a specific error you get?

also can you share a sample workflow and output file you might be using,

Mohd-Siddiqui1
8 - Asteroid

Hi @JagdeeshN 

The error is not coming in workflows but when I am opening the final output excel file then the file is prompting "Do you want to recover your file" and when I am clicking "yes" then "2. DEF" sheet (containing 171000 rows) is coming as empty.

Note: All the remaining sheets data remains same.

Labels