Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Divide by 0 reported as Error with AMP and Multi-Field

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hey guys,

I've noticed that when AMP is turned on, the Multi-Field formula tool shows 'Divide by 0' as an error message rather than a warning

OllieClarke_0-1675163513573.png

It does however still pass records through the tool. 

OllieClarke_1-1675163528240.png

Normal formula tools report Divide by 0 as a warning, and when AMP is turned off the tool reports it as a warning too

OllieClarke_2-1675163578727.png

Is this expected behaviour? And if it is, can it be changed? I have workflows which are set to cancel on error and I wouldn't expect them to stop due to denominator zeros...

Ollie

8 REPLIES 8
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@OllieClarke ,

IMO division by zero should be an error. I prefer to have an IIF() statement checking for zero and returning NULL() when the denominator is zero.  This is better than having warnings.  

i also respect that there are existing workflows that need to be refactored.  There is an advisory statement that AMP should be tested on existing workflows prior to being turned on. 

I'll tag @TonyaS  for her visibility to your concern. 

cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @OllieClarke,

That's very interesting - I've never seen that before! Maybe something to be submitted as a product improvement...

As a stop gap, you could have a Test tool or Message tool produce an error if the divide doesn't work (i.e. produces a null value) - that way the cancel on error still works!

-Alex

dYoast
11 - Bolide

This may be a stupid question, but why not eliminate both the errors and warnings by using an IF statement?

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@dYoast a combination of laziness and stubbornness

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@alexnajm thanks for the reply. In this case though I don't want the error from the divide by 0 to stop the workflow, so it's the other way round :)

alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@OllieClarke apologies for the misread!

harsh_alang
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello @OllieClarke , thank you for bringing it to our attention. I personally value consistent behavior and I will approach this as a defect and add to our bucket. 

HarshA
OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Thanks @harsh_alang 

Labels