Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Decision Making Workflow

Shreyash41
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I am trying to create a workflow where multiple excels (all of which have same format i.e. four columns , one of which marks the status) are read, and depending on the status workflow decides whether or not to update that excel.

I managed to create a workflow that reads this particular column from these excels and summarizes their status and last update time. But i need to use this information to build the later half of workflow which then uses this status information to write to these files.

Steps:

1) Accept a list of paths for files that can be written on. (Note files are on different paths so i am thinking of supplying paths through a text input tool)

2) Dynamically iterate through each path, checking for availability.

3) Once the available file is found, exit the macro (I am thinking iterative macro is way to go here..) and activate another workflow to write on chosen file (That was checked for availability) otherwise, check file on next path and repeat until one available file is found to write on or all files have been checked and none of them is available to write on.

Edited for more context:

Eg: If status="Completed" then write the data into that excel, if not, then check another excel for status and repeat the same process until either an available excel is found to write on, at which point the control must exit the search process or all files have been checked and none of them is available.

The outcome of this process would be that either no excel is available to write or data would be written onto one of the available excels.

Thanks in advance!

Best,

Shreya

2 REPLIES 2
JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

@Shreyash41 ,

Have you tried using the union tool to bring all sheets together. Post that a filter tool can be used to only select those that are status=completed.

JagdeeshN_0-1650638408356.png

Hope this helps.

Best,

Jagdeesh

Shreyash41
7 - Meteor

@JagdeeshN I want the workflow to choose from the available set (based on status="Completed") a file to write on. And once the available excel is found, i want the control to exit the macro else keep on checking from available paths if any other file is available.

I believe this can be achieved through iterative macro that -

1) Accepts the file path (Cannot use directory tool because the excels are on different folders, so i am thinking if possible to provide the path through a Text input tool),

2) Dynamically adjusts the file path (dynamic input maybe),

3) Checks for status and if excel is available for writing, exits the macro else iterates to next path on text input, checks it for status so on until an available excel is found and eventually

4) Activates another workflow to write on that excel.

Hopefully this makes the scenario a bit more clearer.

Labels