Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Date Formatting

Pepper
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I have searched this Knowledge Center for days and still cannot figure out how to format a column which is in a Decimal format (20170131) to a date format (1/31/2017) or ANY date format for that matter. I cannot figure it out. Alteryx will not allow me to change the format to string or anything else.  I know this cannot be that hard but I have wasted way too much time trying to answer.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

The easiest way is to use a select tool to change the type from a Decimal to a string format

And then use a DateTime tool to convert it to an Alteryx Date column

You can use another DateTime tool to reformat the output as you need.

Have attached a sample (but it is saved from v11)

Pepper
8 - Asteroid

Thanks jdunkerley79 for the reply.  I tried that numerous times/ ways and it would not let me go from decimal to string then to date.  I may have found a solution by first LEFT([CREATE_DATE],4)+'-'+SUBSTRING([CREATE_DATE],4,2)+'-'+RIGHT([CREATE_DATE],2) my date into a string then I can easily change this to a date.  I am still working it but it looks like I may have a solution.  Thanks.

mashfilafi
5 - Atom

hello I have a question related to your topic 

i have a date in Excel Arabic format 18--04-1438 I would like to change the format to 14380408 how I can do that ?   

Labels