Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Date Field Conversion Error

mbarot
6 - Meteoroid

I have a CSV dataset with a single date column in the mm/dd/yyyy format.  When the data is loaded into the designer it is assigned the type - string. I have used the select tool to convert it to date. However, I am running into an error that says Date: "1/15/2015" is not a valid date. And the same errors is shown for a total of 11 dates from the entire dataset. 

I have tried using datetime tool as well but that did not work too. What could be the possible solution?

Date Field Conversion Error.PNG

6 REPLIES 6
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @mbarot 

The issue is the date is not in expected Alteryx Date format.

Expected Date Format by Alteryx is yyyy-MM-dd

You can use datetime tool to convert it. Here is a handy resource 🙂

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Tool-Mastery-DateTime/ta-p/38302

Your expression in datetime tool would be MM/dd/yyyy

atcodedog05_0-1606229162512.png

Hope this helps 🙂 Feel to ask if you have any questions

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @mbarot ,

What's the configuration you've used in the datetime tool? If you configure it as shown below, I think that will solve the issue

Screenshot 2020-11-24 143959.jpg

Let me know if that worked for you,

Cheers

Angelos

mbarot
6 - Meteoroid

It worked. Thank you so much. 

mbarot
6 - Meteoroid

My earlier config was custom and I tried keeping it in the mm/dd/yyyy format but this one worked out. Thank you.

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @mbarot ,

Oh I see now, that's because Alteryx translates "mm" as minutes and "MM" as months. You can witness that in the datetime tool configuration window, where time is set as "hh:mm:ss".

That was close enough, a thing to remember when converting date time fields.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @mbarot 

Here is the list of Date formats. Its for DateTimeParse() function most of them should give you idea for Datetime tool too.

https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/datetime-functions

Hope its helpful🙂

Labels