Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Data type keep changing in the select tool every time I try to run an App.

AmAm
7 - Meteor

So I need all field to be strings, but when I upload a file with empty columns to an App then data type change automatically in the select tool to doubles. This result is errors the formula tools that follows. How can I force all string to all fields even when there is an empty column when I run an App? can I add an interface tool? which one would it be??

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @AmAm,

That's a very strange issue, do you have an example of the data or workflow which can cause this issue? My inital thoughts to get round it would be to do something like this:

IraWatt_0-1651430864251.png

The top text input just has dummy data, we can be certain that it will be always string as its unchanging. When its unioned because it #1 its data types will be used ensuring that everything will always be set to a string. Afterward the filter can remove the dummy records.

ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @AmAm - You can change data type dynamically with a Multi-Field formula:

ArtApa_0-1653800171518.png

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

If you haven't already, make sure that your Select Tool data types are set to String: Forced, not just string.

PhilipMannering_0-1653832187219.png

Labels