Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Copying data from one flow chain into another flow chain for processing

KNguyen
7 - Meteor

Hi.

I have two flow chains. One input a file and do some data manipulation with. Another contains header data that I used the report header tool to bring in. 

How do I copy values from one or more columns in the first chain into a column in the another chain to populate that table so I can further do additional data processing on?

KNguyen_0-1648139137271.png

11 REPLIES 11
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@KNguyen the append tool would be an option here

KNguyen
7 - Meteor

Thanks. I'll give that a try. As I was typing the last post and after pressing submit, I tried the long way was to do a union and then use the formula tool to copy the data over. I'll see if append is better. 

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @KNguyen 

Just curious to know what is the intended goal and output since you are using the header. Maybe we can help you better 🙂

KNguyen
7 - Meteor

I have a template file I need to populate that contains just the header. I can use the output and then select that template file to map it that way. But I have some fields needing to be static and some needing to be fed from the first chain flow. So I wanted to import in the header so I can create a table for me to then do the necessary changes, then create an output to populate that template file. 

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @KNguyen

Just to shed some clarity header tool doesn't read the header from the file the header tool config is static and can create headers in only specific ways.

atcodedog05_0-1648142291749.png

Output: Attach a header tool to see how the report looks like.

atcodedog05_1-1648142328250.png

Another option is to select image but it will be statically set

atcodedog05_2-1648142387855.png

Hope this is helpful. If I am missing a point or understanding your use-case incorrectly let me know.

KNguyen
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the insight. I guess I am using the header tool in the non-intended way, but it does read the excel file header row (row #1) and allowed me use the select tool to bring that in as a column header. I've tried the append method and union method. Both yield same result as well. 

KNguyen_0-1648143237435.png

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @KNguyen 

Append tool work like a cross join of combination tool. Refer below.

atcodedog05_0-1648143693740.png

It always creates more rows and columns. Refer to the attached workflow.

Also on your main workflow can you provide some sample input files and expected output files It will help us get a better understanding of the usecase.

We will be happy to help : )

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Happy to help : ) @KNguyen 

Cheers and have a nice day!

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @KNguyen 

If you need help with the actual usecase let me know and share me the files.

Happy to help : )

Labels