Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Comparing Data sets with slight differences in name

tibuk
5 - Atom

Hi all,

I'm trying to compare columns within 2 data sets using the join tool to get records that are present between both data sets. However, the names within the data set are not identical so the join tool isn't picking up such records. I'm trying to use fuzzy match but not sure how to use it. Can anyone please help? Tysm.

4 REPLIES 4
DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @tibuk 

Are you able to share some of your data?

tibuk
5 - Atom

I'm unable to unfortunately but an example is if one data set has 'peppers' while the other has 'peppers lite'. I want both items to be joined but the slight difference in names is preventing that. How can I use the fuzz match to compare them?

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

Search the training videos for "Fuzzy":  https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Videos/bd-p/live-training

The Fuzzy Match tool is generally a trial-and-error effort, and will likely never give you perfect results.

You might also want to try the Find Replace tool.

Chris

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@tibuk Attaching a sample fuzzy match workflow for your reference

binuacs_0-1661355365770.png

Labels