Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Analytic app not working from canvas

jackersantos
8 - Asteroid

I have an app that works fine If I run it using the magic wand, however If I try to run the same app from inside the canvas (right click>Edit in the workflow) it doesn't work as expected. In the analytic app, one of the things that the workflow is supposed to do is save a date/time suffix to the file name using an action tool. But it only works if I run it using the magic wand. It is not necessarily a huge issue. But one of the things that it's causing is that when I use the list runner macro, it actually works as if I was opening the workflow using the right click>Edit, and the date/time in the file name is not added. 

I know it was not like this before because I tested several times. But since I'm using alteryx in the server of the client, I feel like there might be some configuration that changed this behaviour. Does anyone have an insight for this? (Alteryx version is 2021.3.5)

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
MatthewO
Alteryx
Alteryx

@jackersantos if I am following correctly, this would be the expected behavior. A macro is intended to execute inside of another workflow. At runtime, the data, or pre-configured inputs are passed into the macro and you will observe the dynamic results. An analytic app cannot be used inside of another workflow, it expects user input. The inputs are only passed to the app when it is run as such by clicking the magic wand in Designer, or by publishing to Server. You can confirm the workflow type in Configuration window:

image.png

jackersantos
8 - Asteroid

@MatthewO I understood what you mean. But these apps don't require any inputs from the user. In fact, they're only saved as an app because I used an action tool to update the file name with a formula that adds a suffix with the date/time of the execution. Running it from canvas or from the magic wand shouldn't make any difference in my understanding. 

MatthewO
Alteryx
Alteryx

@jackersantos analytic apps expect user input and you can encounter errors when they do not have interface tools. Have you explored using the DateTimeStart() function in a Formula tool which will populate the timestamp of when the workflow began executing?

jackersantos
8 - Asteroid

@MatthewO  I'm using a data lake file output tool, and using also an action tool to pass the formula with datetimenow() to update the suffix of the file name in order to add the time of execution to the file name. 

jackersantos_0-1661554613035.png

That is why I can not use a normal formula tool to add this suffix to the file name in my understanding. And because of this action tool the workflow turns into an app that do not require input from user.

MatthewO
Alteryx
Alteryx

Got it. My recommendation would be to convert the write step to a Batch Macro  and pass the timestamp in through the Control Parameter. Alternatively, if you kept it as an app I’d recommend adding 1 interface tool. The action tool defines what gets updated in the workflow so you wouldn’t actually  need to use the input. Again, apps expect input so that may be why you are experiencing strange behavior. 

jackersantos
8 - Asteroid

@MatthewO Maybe the batch macro option is the way to go. Thank you for your insights!

Labels