Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx Log for Designer

Hi Team,

In my organization, we have got the requirement from auditing team to capture the Alteryx workflow execution details for all the users who is running the workflows from Alteryx Designer. i have checked the logs, it has the workflow execution details but its not having the user info details. I know that userinfo logs will be captured if we run the workflows from Alteryx gallery collections. Can you please let me know the feasible option to get the user activities log details for Alteryx designer.

Much appreciate for quick support 

Thanks,
Vinod Kumar

3 REPLIES 3
OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @VinodKumar_Alteryx If the workflow contains a browse tool, then I guess you could infer it from the location of the temp file Alteryx writes. For instance:

C:\Users\[WHAT YOU'RE AFTER]\AppData\Local\Temp\Engine_8724_80dc6fbc9bf5427aba6b3f44716e5449_\Engine_17804_159a8aa60c7c4131b4b61d34575bf492_.yxdb

This doesn't seem like a great solution though, so hopefully someone else knows... 

edit: actually you can change the temp location, so this wouldn't necessarily be correct

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @VinodKumar_Alteryx if you have Alteryx server you can enable Alteryx Designer usage the link below explains the steps required. 

https://help.alteryx.com/server/current/admin/Configuration/SaveDesignerUsageData.htm

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

Hi @VinodKumar_Alteryx 

This would have to be manually set on each machine running Designer, but in the "User Settings" (Options > User Settings > Edit User Settings) you can set a path in the "Logging Directory" field which will write out the result log to a text file. User details aren't captured in the these logs directly, but you can set something up where these logs are written to a specific directory which identifies the user within a common network share location.

E.g. \\fileserver\alteryxDesigner\logs\<<userid>>\ 

jrgo_0-1573106607804.png

When you parse these logs, you just need to include the directory the file you're parsing is contained in to extract the user the log belongs to.

Outside of this, there's no way to capture the execution results from runs on a users local install of Designer.

Labels