Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Inport Excel password protected files

We've had several requests from clients for the ability to import password protected Excel spreadsheets into Alteryx.  Within Alteryx, it would be good to specify the password and inport the file without the need to create an unprotected copy for use in Alteryx.

Thanks

31 Comments
PeterS
Alteryx
Alteryx
I had a user asking about this today, would be a great addition.
benjamin_long
6 - Meteoroid

Same here, I have a client who needs this feature. Interestingly this seems not to be an issue with protected .XLS files (97-2004 format).

rsousa
5 - Atom

This would be useful in my projects! A must-have for alteryx!

Briann
6 - Meteoroid

Agreed, must-have. I have an excel input this is password protected have to manually open t extract data.

kennethli
8 - Asteroid

Just come acrossed this problem today. It would be great to be able to unlock multiple excel sheets as input.Otherwise I need to rely on the "unreliable" excel vba.....

CiaranA
10 - Fireball

Has this been resolved / added to new features at all?

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

Hi All,

Thanks for the idea and comments. This is under review as we continue to improve the Excel integration with Alteryx.

Best,

Alex

Jituledon
5 - Atom

Hi all, 

I´d like to support the possibility to open password protected Excel files and backward to protect out files with chosen password. We use Alteryx within HR data area and this feature would be very very welcome because of sensitivity of data handled.  

Thanks a lot for your effort!

Jitka

r4upadhye
11 - Bolide

Great Idea. I am assigned to a new project using sensitive financial data.

I want this feature.

Jim7
8 - Asteroid

In HR, nearly all of our spreadsheets are password protected and having the ability to specify the password and import the files through Alteryx would be very helpful.