Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

"Contains" function not working

RMojsiak
8 - Asteroid

Hi everybody,

After the latest Alteryx update, it seems like I have some problems with the filter tool and contains function. For the filter one, I don't have the example anymore, but it was something like [column1] - [column2] = 0, and in the true output, the difference was above 100 (both columns were doubles). I will try to re-create it and post is here.

I have also tried to make a formula to include all the checks, then apply a filter and put a data cleansing before the filter, but it still doesn't work. Any input is appreciated. Maybe it's something that I'm missing and an easy fix.

Sometimes after re-opening Alteryx, it works, but I can't automate something if I need to double-check everything after running the flow.

RMojsiak_1-1653908115647.png -> this is the filter

RMojsiak_0-1653908099297.png -> this is the false output

RMojsiak_2-1653908821137.png -> this is where I tried the formula

RMojsiak_3-1653908877472.png -> the false output

Thanks,

Roxana

4 REPLIES 4
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @RMojsiak,

I think you have you parameters the wrong way round, were you expecting Demo to be in the True output? In which case it should be:

contains([propertyReference],"demo")

The first parameter is for the variable your checking the second parameter is for the string to look for.

DataNath
17 - Castor

Are you able to attach your workflow so we can have a more detailed look, @RMojsiak? From an initial glance, it looks like the syntax in some Contains formulae are off - normally you would express these as Contains([Field], '<Target>'). I can see you have this in some places. However, in others you use Contains('<Target>', [Field]).

RMojsiak
8 - Asteroid

😤 I thought it was something really simple as that. It seems that I need to go back to the training lessons, even though I did that formula hundreds of times. Sorry for the post...

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

No worries @RMojsiak, happens to us all. Please do post the filter one if you can replicate it. Doubles can behave strangely.

Labels