Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

how to calculate average that is dynamic

nmitch
7 - Meteor

hi, newbie here!

I have data, see attached, where I'd like to be able to create a formula that calculates the average BUT updates if I change the timeframe. For example, the entirety of the dataset may have an average of 315 but within 1 week there were on average 13.

R

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

3 REPLIES 3
BA02
7 - Meteor

Hey, 

For calculation of the average, you can use the summarize tool. Make sure that the data type is set to be a Numeric type. 

As for the date range, you can either change it in your filter if you can edit the workflow on a daily basis or a better approach, use the date/time tool from the interface tool palette. This will give you the flexibility to simply choose the date while running the workflow as an app.

Hope this helps! 🙂

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @nmitch 

What exactly are you trying to average?  The sample file you attached only has 2 columns in it.

danilang_0-1631973233466.png

Dan

nmitch
7 - Meteor

HI! I excluded some additional fields as I wasn't sure if they would be helpful.

To answer your question: I want to be able to dynamically find the average amount of weekly primary reference IDs within a timeframe. For example, I'd like to know how many shipments on average were with Business A during the month of August. I hope that helps

Labels