Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

copy data from multiple excel workbook into one

pokhan27
8 - Asteroid

hi Expert

I am trying to combine with more than 5 different workbooks into one master file and publish it to sharepoint list. 

1. each workbook has single sheets

2. most of the column name  are common in the workbooks but there are other files where we have additional column 

3. create a macro which will read the file from the directory

4. add a column in master file which shows the source file name

folder with files: 

pokhan27_0-1648488112127.png

sample of column name in each file: 

pokhan27_1-1648488477424.png

desired output:

desired output      
ID nameDept IDDeptregioncommentsvalueFilename
1ABC  east  Avp
2cbafin12financewest  IMP
3xyz hrnorthtbd100IV

6 REPLIES 6
binuacs
20 - Arcturus
allwynthomas24
11 - Bolide

Hey @pokhan27,

Please check the attached workflow and confirm whether it meets your stated requirements.

Thanks & Regards.

Spoiler
allwynthomas24_1-1648541382871.png

pokhan27
8 - Asteroid

hi Thomas, 

folder browse option is not available in my server, now am thinking to union individual file as union

pokhan27_0-1649255097749.png

is there a way to get all the files without folder browse?

soccertil1108
8 - Asteroid

If you already know the names of the files then you can put them into a Text Input and use Dynamic Input or a Macro. See my video that describes a generic solution to your problem.

https://youtu.be/GmfkB515Wec

Every analyst has encountered the problem where their data is in multiple files that are not consistent. Typically, you create a workflow for each file before you combine the data into a database table. The problem is exasperated when the data that you are loading changes daily or weekly and you ...
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@pokhan27 use of wild characters should work if you have the same schema for all the input files. Instead of specify each file name you can use the wild card character *.

https://www.thedataschool.co.uk/borja-leiva/4840

binuacs_0-1649256016641.png

pokhan27
8 - Asteroid

Schema are  different 

Labels