Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Why use a batch macro

leonhekkert
8 - Asteroid

What are reasons to use a batch macro? 

I understand the use case of a batch macro when getting multiple files into a flow that have different formats.

This would be difficult to achieve with a batch macro.

What are other use cases of a batch macro that cannot be achieved with a normal join tool as well?

Or are there reasons why a batch tool could be better in such situations?

10 REPLIES 10
RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Hi, @leonhekkert 

TLPR - too long, please read - focus pages 23-30

I hope you find the attachments helpful.

Check out the new Inspire documents when they become available...

leonhekkert
8 - Asteroid

Hello @RobertOdera,

Thank you for sharing.

This example with state taxes can easily be done with a join if I'm not mistaken. So whats the added value of a batch macro here?

What are situations you absolutely need a batch macro or when a batch macro has an advantage over a normal macro ( with joins or group by's)

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Sure thing, @leonhekkert 

Looking at my notes, here is an explanation that should surface the nuance for you The Data School - The difference between standard, batch, and iterative macros

Your decision to use one versus another will be based primarily on the need for efficiency-scale, repetitive dynamic treatments, singular versus grouped treatments, and workflow optics (decluttering your canvas of all the stand-alone tools you're using). Cheers!

RobertOdera_0-1683803662069.png

Christina_H
14 - Magnetar

As a specific use case, the first batch macro I set up was when I was calculating correlation on my data using the Pearson Correlation tool.  I wanted a separate calculation for each group in the data but the tool doesn't allow any grouping, it just calculates a single value for the whole data set.  So I used a batch macro to feed it each group in turn for the calculations.

gregx
8 - Asteroid

@leonhekkert As an user with 4 years of experience with Alteryx I can say: I've never had to use Batch macros. Everything what they do you can achieve in a normal workflow. 

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

@gregx - what kind of workflows do you build? I'm curious because it's exceptionally rare for me to build a workflow which does not use a batch macro.

gregx
8 - Asteroid

@apathetichell what kind of workflows we have? XD but seriously, in most cases you just apply filtering or if-formulas and that's it, no need to overcomplicate workflow - clearer to read, easier to debug, faster to create. I can deflect the question: can you show any (real) example when it must be done via batch macro and can't be done in standard workflow?

Machtelinck
5 - Atom

API usecase . If you don't use iterative or batch your API request  better not receive any fails . And this is a macro , mostly difficult at first but once done can be used again for other task . Also on some download usecase it can be useful . I might be missing some case or ways to avoid that though

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Any workflow requiring dynamic interaction with a tool/value/field/file/location will use a batch macro - or should - use a batch macro.

Labels