Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Using interface tools with multiple containers

adam_rafael_18
8 - Asteroid

Hello, I am trying to build an alteryx model building out reconciliations that has many containers (each container is a different reconciliation that is slightly different). I built the reconciliation and it is working, but I am trying to utilize the interface tools to

1) Enable and Disable Containers

2) Change Input/Output files

I currently have it set up so the there is one checkbox tool and action tool per reconciliation on the outside of the container to enable/disable (with the "collapse group when deselected" checked). Each container has one output file, and I have the file browse/action interface tools on the outside of the container to prevent the "interface tools in a disabled container" error from populating. 

In the interface designer, I have the outputs embedded into the check boxes, so when the workflow is run as an app, the user can only fill out the output file if the container is enabled. However, if a container is not checked, I am running into an error that the "File name is empty". The question I am struggling with is if there is a way to enable & disable containers while having the user pick the output/input files via the interface tools, but not have it be mandatory if the container is disabled.

Let me know if you need any more details, thank you so much for the help!

11 REPLIES 11
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @adam_rafael_18 

Can you post an image of the actual error?  It's probably not generated by the Text Box interface tools, but by the output tool that it's connected to.

Dan 

adam_rafael_18
8 - Asteroid

Hi Dan

Thanks for responding! Here is the error - yes you are correct, tool 25 is the "Update Output Data Tool" - I noticed it is on the "Actions" side where it says (Always run). in the tree view of the interface designer. Is there a way to make it part of the condition of the check box? Would that be a separate check box than the one for the container it is attached to?

Thanks,

Adam

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Can you confirm that your output tool is inside of the disabled container? Also - do you have your input data tool set up for "update input data tool" with required unchecked?

can you also post a screen grab of the config of action tool 225 - and is this error occurring when run as a workflow or as an app? Sometimes it takes some toggling of which containers should be initialized as disabled vs enabled to get things to work as you want.

adam_rafael_18
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for replying - the output tool itself is in the container, but the 2 interface tools (file browse and action) are not. 

I attached the screenshot of the tool for 225. Where would the input tool show the required piece?

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

same section - as in your picture - there is a button that says required which you uncheck. Can you confirm if you are running as an app or a workflow? Probably you are disabling this tool when you mean to be enabling it and vice versa - that means that the output data is trying to run when there is no data there.

adam_rafael_18
8 - Asteroid

I'm sorry but I don't see the required check box in the action tool - is there somewhere else it should be?

I am running it as an analytic app.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

required is specific to input data - it just says that you don't need to include a file. Try disabling your container with the misbehaving output tool in the workflow - and then running.

adam_rafael_18
8 - Asteroid

The same issue arises whether the output tool is in or out of the container

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

yes - that make sense - but try disabling the container. That will get rid of the error - and allow you to see which containers your app is activating.

Labels