Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using Fuzzy Logic to compare 2 columns against a single reference column

Wixard
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

Was wondering if there was a way of comparing two columns against a single reference column?

For example

I have a Working File that contains names across two columns (Name, Other Name - for example maiden name changes)

Working File (Initial)
StatusNameOther NameIDUnitCode
ActiveJohn SmithJohn Smith LDA
ActiveSarah JaneSarah Robertson LDA
CompletePaul CrowPaul Crow LGHC
ActiveBecca TorriniBecca Torrini HYT
PendingYT SmithsonYT Smithson HYT
CompleteGeorgio YanGeorgio Yan LGHC

I would like to fuzzy match against a reference file

Reference File (Unchanged)
ActivityNameIDUnitCode
AddSmith, John A.01234LDA
AddRobertson, Sarah768LDA
OutSmithson, Yan T.00678HYT
InTorini, Rebecca892HYT
OutYan, Georgio00765LGHC
OutCrow, Paul00214LGHC

Criteria: If either Name or Other Name from the working file matches closely to the Name in the Reference file, it will bring back a match.

Updated working file:

Working File (Updated)
StatusNameIDUnitCode
CompleteSmith, John A.01234LDA
CompleteRobertson, Sarah00768LDA
CompletePaul Crow LGHC
CompleteTorini, Rebecca00892HYT
PendingYT Smithson HYT
CompleteGeorgio Yan LGHC

I was looking for a way to just tweak @ArtApa brilliant solution to the below of:

1. bringing back the Name from the reference file

2. stamping the ID to the Working file

3. Marking Status as Complete.

Solved: Re: Lookup using fuzzy logic to stamp data from re... - Alteryx Community

The only change is to match across two columns instead of just 1.

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Wixard 

One way to tweak this is:

1) Put a record ID to your working file

2) "Stack" your "name" and "other name" column on top of each other. this can be done by splitting into 2 flows, each having a select tool, and then union them again.

3) run your fuzzy match 

This way, you are back to having 1 working column vs. 1 reference column. Later on you can use the record ID in step 1 to identify rows which 0, 1, or 2 possible fuzzy matches.
Dawn.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Wixard 

Here is how you can do it.

atcodedog05_0-1627552303160.png

1. I am first finding the match from working file to be renamed in reference file.

2. I am concating name and other name from working file to make it easier for the matching the rows.

3. Matching using find and replace tool by checking whether the name from reference file is present in working file name pair(Name and Other Name).

Hope this helps : )

Wixard
8 - Asteroid

Thank you @atcodedog05  and @DawnDuong !

Two great solutions - am hoping to implement one that requires the least amount of modification, since I used @ArtApa FuzzyMatchAA workflow to build a very large canvas, I was hoping that I could tweak that to make this work.

@DawnDuong RecordIDs are already present in the attached workflow, so the stacking method seems like it may be a bit easier to implement in my workflow. I'm assuming you mean split the dataset and stack on top of each other, so you have duplicate records, one for Name and the other for Other Name? How do I split like that? Sorry still a bit new to Alteryx.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Wixard 

I have tweaked @ArtApa workflow.

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1627555578122.png

Hope this helps : )

Wixard
8 - Asteroid

@atcodedog05  this is awesome! Thank you so much!

Labels