Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Trying to filter based off criteria entered in Text Input tool - is this possible?

joewils92
6 - Meteoroid

I'm a bit of a noob to alteryx but trying to give it a go so apologies if this is a silly question.

I'm basically trying to filter my main data by the criteria within the text input tool, I've currently tried to use a Join tool but I dont think this is returning the right data. I know i could use a filter tool but worried that when i have more variables updating the expression will become longwinded - is there any other way to do this?

Thanks

Joe

4 REPLIES 4
Deano478
12 - Quasar

@joewils92 can you provide some sample data so we can play around with this as we cant access your local file 

joewils92
6 - Meteoroid

Apologies, i've updated the workflow with sample data below

Bren_Spill
12 - Quasar

@joewils92 - it appears to be working correctly. When joining like this to filter records I find it helpful to add summarize tools on the L and R inputs, as well as on the outputs. This allows you to look at how unique records are acting as opposed to looking at the full dataset containing duplicates.

You have 12 keys in the R input. If you summarize the J output on the key - you'll see the same 12 records. This should the join is working correctly. Screen shot below of my quick checks:

image.png

joewils92
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks very much, thats very helpful!

Labels