Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Split files which will link to formulas in excel

terrellchong
8 - Asteroid

Hey community

I have a file that contains sensitive data which should not be view by other person

For example, in the sheet, the excel contains all the data, for person a b c d, but when it send to me, I have to split the data for person a b c d so that person a will only have data a, and doesn't include data b

All these data linked to a complex excel formula, which further calculates their numbers and fees

Just wondering if alteryx is able to split files for each person? So that I don't have to manually delete rows like I used to

If you do not have solution related to alteryx but there is in excel, please do let me know too. Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @terrellchong 

Here is how you can do it.

1. In formula tool create filename like below.

atcodedog05_1-1631351474595.png

2. Configure output tool to output on filename column.

atcodedog05_4-1631351609660.png

This way it outputs to multiple columns.

atcodedog05_2-1631351534936.png

Hope this helps : )

terrellchong
8 - Asteroid

Hi atcode,

I tried, this method works! But now a follow up question comes in mind.

So now I had the file split, great! But I would like to keep the linkage between different person(Country).

I had attached a mock file, in the mock file you will find Summary, IN1 and IN2.

So the split data part will happen to IN1 and IN2, but how do I replace the value in IN1 and IN2 into that particular country only? For example, China file will only have China, no Peru, no Brazil and no Finland. 

As I found out splitting the files are not able to replace the value in mock file, like what I intended it to do, how do I create a file that only has China in IN1 and IN2, and also keeping the formulas in Summary (bare in mind I have many Summary sheet, this mock is only a part of the file), and name it as "Mock file_China.xlsx"?

I understand that if worst comes to worst, I will just copy-pasting it into the main file and let the calculation run on its own. Just would like to learn more alteryx and what I might not understand about its potential.

Thanks!

Labels