Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

SharePoint Tools - problem with the "SharePoint Input" File tool for CSV UTF 8 files

F_Latulipe
6 - Meteoroid

I've been experimenting with the latest version of the SharePoint Tools (v 2.3.0 released in Jan 2023) to open and read a CSV UTF8 file from a Microsoft Teams Channel File section (i.e. location is SharePoint) and am seeing some strange behaviours:

Tool: SharePoint Input 

If you try to "Read Data from files", Alteryx Designer complains that it is not a valid CSV file  (the file was created from Excel and saved as a CSV UTF 8 file format to preserve some of the special characters of the data). 

F_Latulipe_0-1674128012824.png

F_Latulipe_2-1674128620857.png

i.e. cannot read the file directly from SharePoint within Alteryx Designer.

However, Alteryx Designer has no problems "Downloading file locally for later processing". So the workaround I found has been to first download the file, then as a separate process read the file using the standard "Input data" tool.

Whilst this works, it is painful that I have to break this into 2 discrete events, where what I want is to read the file from the Sharepoint location without downloading first. Has anyone managed to get the 'SharePoint Input" tool to work properly to "Read Data from files"?

(ps : I also tested reading a non-UTF8 CSV file from SharePoint, and for these, I get the last column of the CSV but with the heading of the first column.  None of the content from the other columns are read in.  Either way non-UTF8 CSV file format isn't good enough as it can't deal with special characters).

Any help appreciated.

tx

6 REPLIES 6
AMathis
6 - Meteoroid

I'm having the exact same issue and would love to know either a workaround or the proper setting to get this to work!

F_Latulipe
6 - Meteoroid

@AMathis the only work around I found is the one I described in the original post. 

I had to write one workflow to download the files to a local file system, then a second workflow to open and read the local iles.

I hope this helps.

AMathis
6 - Meteoroid

I downloaded the most recent SharePoint tool (v 2.4.0) and no longer had the issue 😁

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Community-Gallery/Sharepoint-Tools/ta-p/877903 

LiamSD
5 - Atom

I just tried with the latest version and am getting the same issue as OP.  

2023-06-21_11-41-52.png

Just to be sure, I double checked the delimiter and quote character of the CSV by opening it in Notepad and all of my settings are correct. I was really hoping to not have to save locally. 

@AMathis Are you sure there was nothing special you did to fix the issue?

HenryMonje
5 - Atom

Same issue, I changed the file type to xlsx and can now see the data pulling through

RaphaelVeiga
5 - Atom

I am facing the same issue. Does someone know how to handle it?

Labels