Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Select Excel File and Import Different Worksheets

32bit
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here and I'm a new Alteryx user. My background is creating apps in C#/SQL Server and Access/Excel with heavy use of VBA.

The way that I want to use Alteryx is to create analytical apps where a user will select certain files to produce a certain output. Pretty straightforward, but I'm running into a roadblock on this one issue. I usually have one Excel file called MappingTables.xlsx which can have 1 to 10+ tabs which contain different data. I want the user to be able to select one file and it reads all in. All of the examples that I can find only deal with multiple worksheets where the tabs contain the same headers/data to combine into one. This isn't like that.

The company firewall won't allow me to upload files, so below are a couple of examples with randomized data to illustrate 2 tabs. Their content really doesn't matter.

What I want to accomplish is each tab is read into a separate table. The user should not be prompted to select a tab name or have to select "Import only the list of sheet names." 

I see that I can create my own tools using the API and SDK to help with this, but I would prefer to see if Alteryx has an elegant solution using the built-in tools or macro ability. Any pointers in the right direction is appreciated. I'd be thrilled with maybe a link to a previous solution or something. I haven't been able to find anything.

Thanks so much for your time.

MapName1

ACCOUNTTrade_Type
123Type 1
456Type 2

MapName2

DRFTrade_Type_SummaryICI_TB_PrincipalICI_TB_InterestICI_TB_PnLSAP_TB_PrincipalSAP_TB_InterestSAP_TB_PnLA / L
BCBC2M45287-002M35296-012M50799-02100000000200000000300000001Asset
FP2BC2M52741-002M12345-012M50799-02100000001200000001300000002Liability
2 REPLIES 2
mmenth
11 - Bolide

Hi @32bit,

In general when you're trying to load in multiple sheets at once with different schemas you'll have to use a batch or iterative macro, as the dynamic input tool will try to union everything and will throw errors. Batch and iterative macros will do the same thing, but there is a setting in which you can say that the output data may have different schemas. Attached is an iterative macro I made that does this, you'll probably just have to parse the output to make sense of it.

Best,

mmenth

32bit
8 - Asteroid

Hi @mmenth

Thanks for posting that. It's an interesting solution to combine multiple mappings into one big table with different columns. I added an Append Fields tool to the end of the macro to add a column for the worksheet name. That could prevent problems with mapping tables having the same column names. I appreciate it!

Labels