Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Run Containers Sequentially

Nishit_singh
5 - Atom

Hi ,

We are having different containers in our Alteryx Workflow , we want to run each container sequentially in a pre defined order as per the requirement (just like precedence constraints in SSIS) .

Please suggest a method to achieve this functionality (Note : we can't split our Containers into different workflows).

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
StellaBon
11 - Bolide

This works well. In the outer workflow, 1 represents container 1 or the first item to run in the sequence.  2 represents container 2 or the 2nd item to run in the sequence, and so on for however many containers you need to run. 

In the formula:   If ToString([#1])="1" then "False" else "True"   It is saying in this instance "Disabled" is False, (in other words, NOT disabled), but when it runs iteration "2" then it is "True" that this first container will be Disabled.

StellaBon

StellaBon
11 - Bolide

Sorry I had to remove something from Part 2, here it is again.

StellaBon
11 - Bolide

Were you able to work out your sequencing? 

ArnaldoSandoval
12 - Quasar

Hi Stella Bon,

I am not the person asking this question, but your solution is quite interesting, I love it; the other links posted here are good as well.

Thanks you for sharing

Arnaldo

StellaBon
11 - Bolide

@Nishit_singh  Were you able to work out your sequencing? If so what worked for you?  

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Nishit_singh ,

watch this space. Coming soon in a future release will be "Control Containers" which allow you to specify the sequence in which containers will be triggered. This will allow you to run them sequentially and not need to embed within batch macros etc.

Quite exciting, in a nerdy way.

M.

Bulien

StellaBon
11 - Bolide

@mceleavey That's going to be a time saver! 

YOW
5 - Atom

StellaBon

I am following your directions but don't understand how the FinishedMacro works with the Outer Workflow.  I don't see what purpose the outer Workflow plays.  Where do I connect the two and if I schedule the FinishedMacro to run on schedule what do I do with the Outer Workflow?  Also do I always need to put a wait macro on each container?  This has helped me alot and I am close to making it work.  Hope you can help me get across the finish line.

Labels