Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Report Map- Error rendering preview map. - Parameter is not valid (On and Off)

ThomasT
8 - Asteroid

Dear Community, 

i couldn't find any similar posts. 

When i run a workflow with a report map, I can normally preview the map and color coding in the report map tool. However, sometimes the rendering takes up to a minute and then comes up with an error as per picture below. (Error rendering preview map. - Parameter is not valid). 

This happens on and off without any changes in the parameters. Just now it worked for 1 hours while running the workflow several times. Then all of the sudden this error pops up. Restarting Alteryx or even deleting some connections and re-connecting solves the problem and the report map renders again without this error coming up. 

ThomasT_0-1609542717936.png

Since I can solve it this is more fyi for others, but if somebody knows the root cause, would be great to understand to get rid of this error in the first place.

Cheers, 

Thomas

3 REPLIES 3
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @ThomasT 

Would you mind forwarding this to support@alteryx.com as well? It might be worth seeing if our support team can reproduce it and identify the root cause. It would also help if you could provide your Alteryx Designer version and any other context that you think would be helpful!

ThomasT
8 - Asteroid

Hi @BrandonB 

thanks for the reply. I'm using 2019.4.8

I have downloaded a sample workflow from the tool mastery about report map and have applied that to my own workflow. 

I'm simply plotting numeric data on an Australian map which is split by States. 

ThomasT_0-1609790654510.png

I could imagine that using the sample workflow causes some issues. Often when i start working in the morning, i still see the map from the sample workflow until i hit refresh, even though i deleted the data input. 

I will send a sample to Alteryx support, not sure if I'm allowed to share the workflow since it's work under a NDA. 

Thanks,

Thomas

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Understood, so maybe you don't have to share the full workflow but could output the data just prior to the map into a yxdb that could then be used as an input. You could then maybe mask the data or put in dummy information and try to replicate the issue prior to sending. My initial thought is maybe there is some strange string character that is causing an issue, although that is just a hunch. 

Labels