Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Replicate "Running Total In" from Excel Pivot into Alteryx

E_Miller
5 - Atom

Hello Experts,

Newbie here. I would like to automate some of my headcount reports from Excel to Alteryx, but am having trouble replicating a pivot. A watered down version of my data is below. Basically when a contractor starts, they have 1 in WF FTE and the start date goes in date. When the contract ends, they get a -1 and the exit date goes in date. Date reporting is always the first of the month from date. 

In my Excel pivot, I do a sum of WF FTE but it's show value as "Running Total In." Because I don't have an entry for every month, I don't know if I can use the Running Total Tool. I suspect some upstream formulas, summaries, transpose and/or crosstabs are needed, but not sure.  Any help is much appreciated! 

Excel Pivot:

clipboard_image_1.png

Data:

PersonWF FTEDateDate ReportingComment
Contractor A11/2/20191/1/2019Entrance
Contractor A-15/5/20195/1/2019Exit
Contractor B15/22/20195/1/2019Entrance
Contractor B-111/8/201911/1/2019Exit

Pivot Field Settings:

clipboard_image_0.png

Thanks,

Erin

2 REPLIES 2
john_miller9
11 - Bolide

Hi @E_Miller 

Something like this should do the trick.  Essentially, you can use the multi-row tool to pull the exit date from the subsequent row to the current row and use the Generate Rows tool to create a record for the months in between start data and exit date.  I added a record to the file for a contractor who has a start date but has not yet exited so we can create a scenario for treating that use-case as well.  Let me know if this works for you.

Replicate Running Total In.png

E_Miller
5 - Atom

Thank you very much John! I think this will work! Appreciate it!

Erin

Labels