Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Regex Syntax Failure

Biswarun
8 - Asteroid

I am curious about why "\w+|\s+" matches "Redinger" but fails to match "Matest Benger".

6 REPLIES 6
grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

@Biswarun, the reason your syntax only captures Redinger but not Matest Benger is due to your regex syntax \w+|\s+ it means that it will either capture a word or a space where or is represented by "|" (pipe).

In order to capture both the words, you can try this.

grazitti_sapna_0-1657611252233.png

I hope this solves your doubt.

Thanks!

Sapna Gupta
DataNath
17 - Castor

\w+ looks for the presence of one of more word characters, | indicates or and then \s+ indicates the presence of one or more spaces and so you’re asking it to return a string that is one or the other. In ‘Redinger’ there’s only word characters so that’ll return fine but the other string goes word > space > word and so you’d have to define the pattern in that order (something like \w+\s+\w+) instead of just saying the whole string is just one or the other.

Biswarun
8 - Asteroid

That's nice but I am trying to match any generic string of the type "Word Word Word ...."

Test cases "Arnold Arn Besrf Degy" and "Asd Fgt Tghy Uigh Hjju" shall return true but "Arnol #$ Df" shall return false.

The regex mentioned by me, if run in global mode, can catch the entire string but I so not know how to enable such in Alteryx.

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

@Biswarun, give this a try.

I think this regex will solve your purpose

[a-z\s]+

grazitti_sapna_0-1657625488440.png

Thanks!

Sapna Gupta
PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@grazitti_sapna I think you mean,

[a-zA-Z\s]+

Although with Case Insensitive ticked, you might as well just have,

[a-z\s]+

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

@PhilipMannering, thanks for noticing that.

Thanks!

Sapna Gupta
Labels