Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

PowerBI Connection Write Data Error

Sidey1978
8 - Asteroid

Hi all

I'm having some difficulty writing data to PowerBI. 

I have a test sample dataset that I have attached. 

This is the error message:

Sidey1978_0-1672845049380.png

This is the configuration setup of the tool:

Sidey1978_1-1672845368204.png

Sidey1978_2-1672845379049.png

If I look in PowerBI I can see that the table has been created, but the data itself hasn't been populated... Is there anything obvious in the setup that I have missed?

Thanks

Jonathan

3 REPLIES 3
TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hey @Sidey1978 ,

The error is suggesting you have a column header that is unexpected. Specifically this part:

TheOC_0-1672846089728.png

I suspect this issue is caused by your Existing File Action setting 'Overwrite (Keep existing columns)'. I would recommend changing this setting to 'Overwrite (update columns)' to tell the tool that you are wanting to adjust the schema of the existing file. Another option would be to ensure that what you are outputting matches the schema exactly of the file contained within PowerBI. If this is a new/fresh file, you will still have to use the update columns option.

I've copied a link to the highlight from the Help Documentation
https://help.alteryx.com/20223/designer/microsoft-power-bi-output-tool#:~:text=choose%20an%C2%A0oper...

Kind Regards,

Owen

Bulien
Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @Sidey1978 

The error message is saying that the problem is with the Posting Date column. I suggest you to take a look at the column and data type inside your workflow  and see if it match what the dataset that you are trying to populate inside power bi service is expecting.

Example:

The Posting Date is a date with 10 characters on Alteryx and on Power BI dataset?

Am i sending some strange character to Power BI dataset?

I saw that you are replacing nulls for blanks, try to keep them as nulls for Posting Date:

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1672846157124.png

Sidey1978
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @Fily & @TheOC for taking the time to look at this.

The issue was the date format, so it was a case of formatting the date back to dd/mm/yyyy and the problem was solved.

Thanks again

Joanthan

Labels