Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Pick specific values from Excel

sumanth0387
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

I am trying to automate an task of mine. Which is every time i have to copy values from an excel sheet and save them in an Monthly folder. The catch here is i do not need all the values mentioned in the sheet i pick only selected  values from the columns  How ever this will be same for every month. QQ: can i use Alteryx to pick values and copy in an chosen destination. This would be very helpful for me in enhancing the use of Alteryx more in my Organisation. I request to mention a work flow so that i can replicate it . 

So iam trying to pick values from specific cell. For Example I have attached the excel file Here i will be looing only specific cells data and i want to copy those cells. I pick values from the Alteryx test data Excel file and paste them in Book2 excel file. 

7 REPLIES 7
alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

When you read in a .xlsx file, you can select a range to read in which can just be the single cell you need to pull out! Then that can be used to output anywhere you might need

jfha97
7 - Meteor

The answer above should work great, but let’s assume your data is not always in the same range or cells. You can create several “tests” to look for the specific data. 

Is the format of your report always the same, as in, you always know your values are in Q:Q? If so, you can read in the file, use the select tool to only grab that column, and output an xlsx to the monthly folder. I do something similar at my org, so I just ensured I got the data in the same format always - in this way I knew that my column positions will always be the same.

sumanth0387
6 - Meteoroid

Hello Thanks for the advice. Can u please also add a exmple workflow. I ve tried with the select tool .My data will be always in the same format . I need help in picking the specific columns & specific cell and save them again in the specific column and cell .

Thanks in advance 

alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Agree with @jfha97 that it highly depends on if it's in the same place or not - based on the description I assume it's the same place every time.

I don't know what data you want to pull across, or what column you want to put it in, but here's an example

sumanth0387
6 - Meteoroid

I have mentioned in the excel attachment.

alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I don’t see it, but you should be able to take the logic from the workflow I provided and adapt it to your use case!

jfha97
7 - Meteor

Again, I absolutely agree with @alexnajm 's solution - it should grab the value you are looking for.

Alternatively, what I suggest is that you clean your file, to ensure you have records (rows) and variables (columns) in a tabular way. Once you clean your data, and have it nicely formatted, you can select the column you want and filter for the values you want.

I am attaching a workflow that assumes you want to import your data to Alteryx and want to filter a value from a specific column. I made it an app so you can enter the value if you know it, or alternatively you can run it as a regular workflow.

jfha97_0-1686029157133.png

Labels